Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Time flys when....

you're reading contracts. Not really - it actually goes very slowly, especially when you don't know what you're looking for.

Today, inspired by a trip to the hair salon and a discussion with my lovely sister, I am thinking about time. This might be a very boring post for some of you, and I know a blog is not a diary, but its going to be nice to have this as an archive of my entire experience.

Today I went to the salon de belleza with Ligia, and got my hair did and all pertied up. The girl asked me whether I wanted it curly or straight and of course I said straight, thinking she would just blow it out (yawn, I know guys, but this has a point). She didn't - she flat ironed it. All of it. Imagine my head, and think about flat-ironing all of that hair, especially now that it is so long. That poor, poor girl.

We sat there for almost an hour, with me getting more and more apologetic about my head. But then it was over, and she got a really good tip, and my hair is silkier smooth than it has ever been in my life. I'm like an Herbal Essences commercial. And I realized...that was an hour. She got paid for it. She was happily chatting - and I should not apologize for the bounty that is my hair, other people would love to have this much.

In just 3 1/2 short weeks my internship will be over - they are sending me to beautiful Antigua for a week or two to study spanish, and I will get to take in the fantastic colonial town. This is the best internship ever. And after that, a mere 6 months, I will be half way done with law school. In less than two years I will (hopefully) have a job and start saving up for a house and a life and getting all settled.

When you are in school you tend to have tunnel vision. Three weeks can last and last - I know that the past couple of months for me has seemed endless. But in the long term it is nothing - a flash. And then you are left with forever. Forever to be settled and staid - forever to wish you had jumped into things when you were young.

I'm so happy that I'm here - I'm so grateful for this experience. I am so happy that I am living in DC because I don't think I will end up there, but it is a great city. These are the things that I will remember when I'm 80, so I am going to try to make the pictures as vivid as possible.

Enough sappiness...next time I will post a translation of a Guatemalan Legend that I am reading. ;) Enjoy the day. Hold tight to the things that you care about. And if anyone wants some volcanic ash tell me, because I am going to go get a baby food jar to collect some in for Bonnye and it might want some friends for the ride home.

0 comments: