Friday, June 25, 2010

If I do not get a book in English I will go mad

My mind has been over-inundated with Spanish, and yet it seems to me that my speaking ability is not getting any better. In my head though, I am fluent again, and so that means that I can read at my leisure any one of the many books that people are throwing at me (including one by one of the old-codger lawyers on why environmentalists are the scourge of the Earth... he is trying to cure me of my evil ways. But he is a really nice old guy, and also lent me a history of the country and a paper he wrote about a painting in his office.). The only problem is that, after a day of reading legal jargon in a foreign language, I really, really, really do not want to.

Be it Jane Austen or Dan Brown, I need to get myself a novel in English stat, or else my brain might melt away. This is very hard on a girl who reads as much as I do - I might be going on physical adventures here, but I need some mental escape at night. There is a good bookstore/cafe nearby in a little Southpoint type mall, but unfortunately you need a car to get there and I have none. I'm sure I'll be back sometime soon though, everyone seems as infatuated with outdoor breezy shopping here as they are at home. I will just have to listen to episodes of Wait Wait and This American Life that I have stored up on my iPod, just as good, but not the same as turning pages and being enveloped in someone elses life.

Tomorrow I go to Antigua, and will hopefully catch some of the USA game while I'm there! It was the second capitol of Guatemala (the name is actually Antigua Guatemala, or Old Guatemala, and I am in the New Guatemala City) but was ravaged by earthquakes and mudslides. Its a hoppin tourist spot, and according to Sheni's grandson you have to go on Tuesday nights because girls can get beers for 1Q (like 15 cents). That will have to wait for another week, because I am on a mission to do some gift-shopping.

0 comments: