Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Everything's up to date in Guatemala City

I know that I make everything here sound like sunshine and daisies, but today, after staying up too late at a party (on a Monday, I know) and then having people yelling and honking their horn outside of my window for an hour at like 4:30 in the morning and then Sheni singing at 5:30 once they finally stopped, I am in a mood to explore the slightly darker side...

Guatemala City, not the rest of the country mind, is dirty. And it is dangerous. So dangerous that yesterday a woman was held ransom in her house by men with assault rifles over a tv or something a few blocks away from my home which is in the safest part of the city. Consequently, Sheni's protective instincts have doubled and now Angelina has to go everywhere with me. Angelina, by the way is literally 4'5" and although very sweet could not possibly fend me off let alone a large man. I feel like protecting her, and it makes me wonder about their ideas on my capacity to handle myself.

There are police with guns everywhere, and if you are a member of the police or of the military you are not allowed to vote because as a public servant you should not be swayed by a particular party. Really its because of all of the military coups in the past.

BUT, it is still beautiful, and I would like to return here this winter break maybe to do some volunteering. Or perhaps I'll move on to Peru!

I spent a wonderful weekend in Peten (with an accent on the second e, but its difficult to get my laptop to do that and I never remember the combinations) visiting the archaeological sites of Tikal and Yaxha (pronouced Yash-ha, it means Green Water). It was super hot and August-in-North-Carolina humid. But the views from the tops of the pyramids were worth it.




Its funny, but this was my very first solo excursion of my first solo travel experience. I've always had guides or groups or flocks of lawyers taking me places, but this time I was on my own. It was a little scary and a little relaxing, knowing that I could go to the ruins and then come home and the whole evening was mine. And I made friends, once again, everywhere! American acquaintances from Tennessee and Montana, Guatemalan friends, Chinese tour companions and even one guy from Peru who was on both my flights and staying in the same hotel and was on my tour the first day.

Its nice to know that even if you start out some place alone, you don't have to stay that way. But if you do want some space, you can always go back to your room, chill out, and take a bath.

See my pics on Facebook, I will try to load them to Flickr but its being odd with my internet connection.

0 comments: