Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Diaries of a Mad Foreign Socialite

Party Monday, Concert Tuesday, Climbing Wednesday, Gallery Opening Thursday, Friday...?

I think that I am far more social here than I am at home. I do not know if this is my doing, or the doing of everyone I meet who wants me to be happy and busy, or a little of both. All I know is that my Wednesday nights curled up reading have been replaced with climbing with Manuel and Bodis (actually, not just Wednesday, we went Monday and they wanted me to come yesterday as well but my arms wanted to fall off), and I'm seeing more art and music and culture with Raul than I have in the past 6 months at home. This week we have a gallery opening featuring a local artist that is good friends with his sister and does some amazing work.

Last night I went to a concert in the park which was put on by the Municipality. In a bizarre turn of events the only other Gringos in the entire place were seated directly behind me. They are a group from Atlanta that is here working with a non-profit outreach, and included a very nice guy named Inman (like Cold Mountain!)and an Indian Girl from Portland who lives down the street from me! They had no idea what was going on and seemed to think the mayor was speaking.

In reality it was a concert put on by the Music School downtown. The children start at around age 3 and were fantastic...it was what all highschool orchestra teachers dream of. The singing by the chorus was little iffy, but that could have been poor mic work.

They Atlantians were right, however, in that before any of this started there was a very bizarre 20 minute film that was supposed to be promoting the city, but was instead a love song to the Mayor and his wife and all of the work they do. Elections must be approaching. :)

0 comments: