Sunday, July 4, 2010

"Don't worry, you won't be the only one who dies tomorrow"

Said Manuel, in an attempt to placate my nervousness over my first real outdoor climbing expedition. He also thought it would be a great idea to drink half a bottle of wine each after hiking around the non-existent trails of a newly erupted volcano for four hours when we had to be ready to leave at 5:30 in the morning. "Don't worry, you're in Guatemala! Live it up! It will be fine."

Yeah...I am never believing anything he says ever again.





But, about thirty minutes into the two-hour hike, having sweated most of the alcohol out of my system and downing a badly needed coffee and gatorade combo, it turned out he was right. The hiking was almost like climbing - straight up through dense forest and grasses that made me wish we had that machete I noticed in the back of Jon Scott's car the last time we all went day-hiking at home (he works with the land, its okay to have that sort of thing). Two people actually died there last year, something we weren't told until we reached the summit. The climbing itself was...climbing. And super fun - I wish I could go every day just so that I could practice and eventually get to the top of something without colored hand-holds.

I am a little burnt (well, a lot actually), very bruised, and have never been so happy to see a shower in my life - but it was a fantastic, fantastic day.

And speaking of fantastic days... here are some pictures from our trip to Volcan Pacaya as well. There are, as always, more on Facebook and Flickr. The entire forest used to be green but now everything is just starting to re-bud from the blast. Most of the trails and rest stops are in ruins, which actually made the way back down the volcano really interesting. We were literally skiing without skis down through the ash and volcanic rock - which is scary and exhilarating for the first 30 minutes, and a little less fun when you've cut open your hand and run out of water about an hour later. But the trip was worth it. I would like to come back someday when the chamber has refilled with magma to see the lava flows.




And luckily, there is a spa/hot springs in nearby Amatitlan where you can go and relax and get de-ashified after a long day. Add in some papusas and a beer from a little stand on the lake and you will be a completely contented adventurer.



By the way - I finally saw The Descent last night. I may never go caving again. Creepy.

0 comments: